EEK! It's a Thug...
Trick or Treat...it's a Idaho Potato Bug!
Idaho Potato Bugs
- 1 large potato, scrubbed and dried
- softened butter and salt
- 12 medium shrimp, shells and tails off, deveined
- 1-1/2 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons hot milk
- 2 teaspoons butter (melted in milk)
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 black olives
- 2 snips of red bell pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Smear potatoes with softened butter, salt it, poke with fork times a couple of times, and bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours till done. Meantime, clean shrimp and set aside. Grate the cheddar cheese. When potato is done, cool to handle. Cut in half lengthwise and carefully remove the cooked potato to a bowl, reserving skin whole. Mash potato with cream cheese, milk, butter, onion and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste and 1/2 of the grated cheese and mix gently. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with garlic and drench the shrimp in it. Hang shrimp over the potato skin as pictured above. Fill skin with potato mixture, sprinkle remaining cheese over top of the bug. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and add olive slices for "eyes" and a snip of red pepper for a "nose." Makes 2. Serve with lots of scary love!
Happy weekend before Halloween. Hope it's filled with fabulous fun!